So we left Ohio a year ago to seek our fortune and complete a boat. Now I'm depressed. It still ain't done, though we waved a magic wand over it and chanted incantations to no avail. I guess we'd better work harder. The weather wasn't too bad this week. Overcast, clouds occluded the sun and we could work. What did we do? I dunno, let's look at some pictures....
The roadrunner turned into 4 roadrunners: Momma, Poppa, and two teenage chicks.
You can tell they're teenagers because they expect to be fed and won't fend for themselves, just like all teenagers. They're also pretty dumb, and not too wary of humans. We were all over the place with boat stuff. Budgetboater made a tray out of scrap plywood so we can wet out the fiberglass before we slapped it on the hull. We took turns watching Budge's kids, Grin and Bear It.
We have been labeling our custom stuff with military numbering in case we get an opportunity to sell them to the government. Budge numbered his tray properly and I labeled the bench I made last week, where you can get anything you want.
Budge did some fairing of the port hull in preparation for glassing.
Ben worked on hull repairs. It turns out that when we put in some bracing the nails went through the hull (Oops). Ben had to pull them out or drive them back through, then coat the holes with epoxy and fill the holes with thickened epoxy. He also filled the seams we routed out a couple months ago to ensure a solid hull.
He also made 14 trapezoidal pieces of 3/4" plywood.
These are glued to the hull under each beam attachment point with a piece of hardwood under it. These are lashing points for the beam to the hull . All the beams are attached to the hull with line only; just slap 'em on, wrap 'em and frap 'em.
Ben got fuzzy working wood. The shavings are all full of static and being sweaty doesn't help.
It's his arm.
This dinghy project is chugging along. It's taking more time than I thought it would (what a revelation- just like everything in my life)! Near as I can tell it was built in 1977, so I am reinforcing the 37 year old plywood with backing ply. This thing is no longer in compliance with Mirror Dinghy specification, so it's racing days are over.
I assembled the daggerboard case.
The gunwale was punky and badly deteriorated. I decided to remove and replace it. Easier said than done. That thing was nailed, glued, screwed and tattooed on. I had to cut it off with a jig saw after removing forty'leven screws and ended up cutting off 3 screws and all the brass nails. We still have to grind the remainder down to the hull.
I scarfed up some wood for the new gunwale.
More of a poem than a song, but still Tom. I'll play a song in the future.
Chuck! Send money!