So, after the big rains we returned to the hull. Maybe I should change the name of the boat to "Job", both because our sufferings are akin to the bible character, and the immensity of the undertaking. Job was a perfectly OK dude that God screwed with just because he could. This was back when God was a mischievous 9 year old. What could possibly go wrong???? God's laughing again. Who needs visual progress when you have strife, turmoil, heartache, and disaster (pestilence, famine and plague) ? Ben went out on Monday when the weather got better and discovered this.............
Bubbles???!!! Just like Job, blisters, bubbles, boils and blight (Baubles bangles and beads). "The hell" you say. "The hell" we say (and a whole lot more). We found the "pox" in epoxy. And then....
After 9 days of drying and 3 days of rain, water drops seeped through the paint and the paint didn't stick to the primer! After much colorful linguistics, (like "Dubious thoughts about your ancestry!"), we contacted the paint manufacturer. He said "Huh, I never heard of this". Two days later, the paint company representative came out and he took pictures, a piece of peeled paint, a batch number and said "Huh, I never heard of this". Ben then prepared a test sample of paint using 2 different primers and 2 different brands of paint. Here's his video:
He painted two surfaces, let them dry a few days and threw them outside when the next rain came. Are we unhappy??? Yup. Did we know this would happen? With our luck, we are always expecting something to go awry. On that point, we were not disappointed. How can you be both disappointed and not disappointed at the same time?
So we looked on the chipper side, "at least the hull is protected for now", rather than "I want to stick my head into a wood chipper". Job or Job, we pushed on. What else could we do? Ben and I started the aft beam. We decided to make it out of wood, rather than having a round aluminum tube. It's easier to mount wind vane steering to it. We glopped up some plywood with glue and glued up a center web.
The next day Ben and Budge glued on the top and bottom of the I beam.
It will go here..........
Lovely paint.....................we'll probably have to scrape it all off!!!!! Another unplanned job to do. Phuque!!
I worked on glueing some wood up for beam vane supports and end blocks. I also cut out some wood pieces for dorade boxes. What's a dorade??? I think it's like lemonade, which doesn't fit in a box.
Ben and Budge worked on the next deck sections.
Sanding. Ya gotta sand properly or the paint won't stick (hahahahahahahahahahahaha). I'm headed to the funny farm.
A coat of epoxy, a coat of fiberglass cloth.
A coat of filler (deja vue). They got two sections coated. A job, well, done. We plod on.
Ben and I glued up the boxes. You'll get it later..........hell, I don't even get it! It's magic...I think. Once those dorades get boxed up, they won't escape!
After a couple more days of rain, the bubbles are worse. So cheer up, Neil, life can be worse than a few snooty neighbors. You can watch Ben's video!!!! Yay!
The Music♫: Loudon Wainwright "A Dog in the City"
One way or another we put up with someone else's crap.
Chuck! Send money!