So, Like the great seafarer, Gilligan, who, with his captain, embarked on a simple 180 minute excursion, we started on the engine boxes. And like the aforementioned mariners we figured we could crank them out in short shrift, being just a "couple of boxes" (or a "three hour tour"). And like those intrepid Minnownauts, things did not go to plan. Perhaps I may elucidate. The plans for this are in 3 places on 2 sheets (the sheets are huge and blow around in the wind). The boxes are "handed". They are identical, but reversed, port and starboard. One side is 15mm deeper (the inboard side) than the other, or is it the other way around? There is an error on the plans in one of the floor dimensions. You discover this after you cut the piece. I cut it twice and it was still too short. One brace goes on the inside of the box, one brace goes on the outside of the box.................huh? So I (the skipper) and Ben (Gilligan) called on the professor (Budgetboater). The plans, seemingly to be hieroglyphics, required considerable pondering. We discussed a modification for a while, then decided to scrap the modifications and build according to plans.......a camel is a horse designed by a committee. We (Budge) decided to strengthen the hinge part to better accommodate larger motors. But I digress. We will return to this. We knew that we had a weather window of absolutely wonderful weather until the rain would come in on Thursday. We took advantage and set up a "glue" day to assemble all those parts we have been making, seemingly for months and months. Ben made the final part for the mast case. We can now say that the mast case is finally finished and only needs paint.
The final thingy to glue into the mast case. It sits on the mast support. The mast will be notched so it will sit on this and not twist.
Like this. A refresher: the mast case rests between the first and second crossbeams. I don't know why they're cross, probably because they have to hold up all that weight. Anyhoo, here is the picture. Budge dragged out the windlass and put it in place to show the final configuration.
The mast sits just ahead of the tall part. I don't know the nautical name for that. The anchor chain will pass by the mast, wrap around the windlass (the shiny thing) and drop down into the tall part, the chain locker. So, enough of the mast case. We did other stuff, too. Like glued up the port tiller.
It looks just like the port tiller. I just love working with epoxy-Hah! Budge and Ben glued in the hatch coamings.
Forward port cabin coaming.
Starboard forward ventilation hatch coaming- Ben would have to lose a lot of weight to climb through that.
Ben worried that Budge would get epoxy in his hair!
First ya goop up the coaming.......
Then ya comb it out (just like ceramic tile).................
Then ya drop the outer coaming (combing?) over the top.
Sqwoooosh it down.
Nail it in and clean up the excess goop.
And outside. So, on to the motor boxes......remember those?
Dig out the plans........ where's the professor? These plans still need more unfolding.
Is that a map of the state of Texas?????? Did I mention that the plans are horrible? If I were a millionaire (or his wife) I would just buy a boat. Anyway, it says make 4, 2 ply pieces. We made 4, 3 ply pieces.
Budge cutting out the pieces.
The three pieces to be laminated all together.
Gluing up the pieces.
Ben clamping up the four triple laminations wearing the captain hat- hey, I thought I was the captain........... Mutiny! I'm not wearing a Gilligan hat!
A couple good stomps to make sure they will stay together. We cut out the rest of the motor boxes and laid them out.
Until Wednesday afternoon when the rain came in.
It rained solid for 24 hours. We started rounding up pairs of every animal we could find and stuffing them into the hulls. I want to tell you- they don't like that! And the mess....... Luckily the rain finally stopped. Everything was wet so we dragged it into the cat haus to dry out for a couple days. The weather finally warmed back up and we glued up the motor box sides on Saturday. Ok, I gotta quit. I'm taking Ginger out for a clam dinner.......
Something that has true value. I'm not sure that includes electronics.....................
Chuck! Send money!
The Blog of the Dog.
It's important, I think...........
Click the "<<Previous" at the bottom of the page to see the previous week's post.