Bottle Jack, Kubota Track, Pipe Black, Larry Lack, and a Pizza Snack (Moving the Hulls).
So, bolstered by our recent success of moving the Cat Haus last week, the fact that Larry didn't return our call, and not having learned our lesson that we can't succeed, we decided to proceed moving the hulls out utilizing the same method. I think the pyramids were built the same way: the contractor dodged them, so they did it themselves.
So we jacked her up using my ol' Ford bottle jack from the truck and repositioned the cradles to the proper spots on the hulls. We went to the big box store and bought some 2x4x 8's (tuba fors) and a couple 2x6x16's to use as sled runners and some 1"x6' black pipe to use as rollers..
We jacked up the hull a mite and screwed the 2x6 to the bottom of each cradle having it about 1/4" below the cradle bottom so it would roll.
Then we screwed the 2x4x8's to brace the whole thing. Essentially, we built a sled on each side. Then to make it slide easier, we laid down a track of 2x4's and 2x6's flat.
And slud (slided? slode? ah.....slid!) the 1" pipe for rollers. Then we fired up the Kubota tractor and hooked it to the front cradle with rope and chain.
We could drag it about five feet before we had to jack it up again to re-insert the pipe. Hint: next time buy 6 pipes. We did this several times until...............
We had to then move the hull sideways to put it into correct alignment and to make room for the other hull, Same procedure, only sideways.
This consumed the morning. We covered the hull and Mrs. Boater treated us with pizza and we pizza picnicked before the huge rain storm hit. We had rivers in the yard.
After a two hour break, and the prodding by Mrs. Boater, we started the port hull. We took the sleds off the moved hull and screwed them to the other hull. We chained her up and started pulling.
Same thing, pull 5 feet, jack up, insert pipe, reposition track, pull 5 feet..................until it's into position. Everything done slowly.
Finally they were close to where they should be.
We had to get the alignment somewhat close. They must line up in all 3 dimensions, maybe 4...... or even 6. Just for yucks, we put a beam in place (those things are heavy!!!!!!!) This helped with positioning.
We will have to work with the alignment. How?............dunno. We finished up around 7:00 PM.
The next day, we built some platforms to support the cradles.
And put them under the cradles. I worked on trying to glue up some oak for the beams. Short blocks are glued to the beams to strengthen specific areas. The weather permitting....
We're doing all this stuff between weather windows. Meanwhile, Budgetboater, being crazy as a loon, built a platform on which to build his boat. Forty feet long. Great, another boat in the yard.
This week's yard critter: baby snake. Cute..............
Wait a minute....................wedge shaped head. Immediately went into this defensive posture.
Uh oh, Baby rattle snake. Oh great! He had to go. We hope his brothers and sisters aren't around. On the more benign front........
Yard bunny (Yes, I sneaked in a picture of a flower). Ben worked making some beam trough reinforcements.
They go here......
I took the top that we used as a table extension and repurposed it as a low platform. We will build the pod on it.
We have renamed Boatergirl. Being of that age when girls disappear into their rooms and reemerge in a few years, we have renamed her "The Brown (haired) Recluse", Brown Recluse for short.
Here's a picture of Ben's father by the Potter in the water. It was the first time out a couple weeks ago. It's a great little boat. A few minor things broke that we had to order some parts. Here is a picture of Ben looking all nautical and such (pointy end goes first).
We are still having junky weather. The lake was down 11' from normal for the past few years in the past month, the level rose until it's a few inches above normal with more rain to come. Every day this week, we worked around the rain. Hard to epoxy when the humidity is so high. Ben broke the multitool and had to remanufacture a spring that holds the brushes in.
I also received a complaint from Mrs. Boater about the autoplay. It seems you people reading this site at work get busted by the music blaring out of your computers. Sorry, but the music is an integral part of me and this site.
Ben's current manifesto on why he's going sailing, from his unpublished and unwritten memoirs. This will go over well blaring out of your office computer. Caveat emptor!
Chuck! Send money!
The Blog of the Dog.
It's important, I think...........
Click the "<<Previous" at the bottom of the page to see the previous week's post.