So I finally got the bottom hull cut off the Mirror dinghy. It involved cursing, cutting, cursing, jamming a scraper to separate joints, cursing, cleaning out mouse nests, cursing, moving the boat out of the rainy weather a couple times, and cursing. Damn! I separated the two bottom halves so I could trace them. I tried to get the dimensions off the internet, but, apparently this is national secret in England. The old "If I tell you, I'd have to kill you" thing. So I took measurements on the bottom hull. I could order them from an authorized dealer (in England) for only $286 each half excluding shipping! Bought a sheet of 1/4" marine plywood. Safety tip: be careful when you turn the hull over....
While I was procrastinating on working on the boat, I had a visit from my good friend, Nick, who bopped in from Pittsburgh for a couple days. We saw some music, had a great steak from the local great steak place (No, not Longhorn!). I hauled a couple of half loads of firewood, saw the fireworks, Saw Terrance Simien live and Charlie Zahm. Cleaned out some planters to store, trimmed brush, read 3 books (hey, it's supposed to be a vacation). Oh, yeah, something resembling boat pictures:
Nik0 the cat helping assess the transom damage (it's toast)
A few pictures of what needs to be done. The frontand rear transom and braces.
The dagger board case- not too bad: this is where most of the hull damage is. You can see the darkened area of rot
The bottom 4 hull pieces.
You can see the cuts I made along the edge to remove the 2 aft panels.
The 2 aft panels removed and then cut apart:
Then I dragged the boat into the garage and cut the 2 forward panels off.
You can see the bottom panel clamped to the plywood so I can cut it out. I will cut apart the fore panels tomorrow. You know that the hard part is deciding to start! It's good that I write this blog. I can see that I actually did something, albeit, not much.
Forgive the crappy sound quality. It's what's out there on u-2b.
Chuck! Send money!