In the realm of boatbuilding, much time is spent doing small stuff essential to the structure of the boat, but visually and psycologically uninteresting. This week we did something that actually shows progress: the port galley top. Budgetboater cut the sheet of plywood last week and we (he) glued it on. First the tumblehomes were assembled and glued.
The stitch and glue method involves something to hold the pieces together while you're gluing.
Then running glue into the seams.
And scraping the excess off.
Of course, we screwed up! We made the tumblehomes too long and had to cut off an inch and a half off the rear and re-glue the aft end in place. Then Ben and Budge glued the top on! Voila (or viola), visual progress. We had the top already made up (a couple years ago!).
I got most of the galley finished by fitting the table in. The center bulkhead supporting the short beam was just too close to the table edge and I discovered that, in order to slide into the table, I either had to go on a diet or cut off a corner of the table. I cut the table. Yes, Neil, we're making this up as we go along.
Ben finished up painting the aft cabins: cramped, hot, sticky. Budge and Ben filleted the galley and layed glass reinforcing to the seams. I had covered everything with cardboard so they wouldn't muck it up.
Ben then dove into the preparation of the galley for painting.
Ben is developing into a pretty competent boatbuilder. Of course, as in all things in life, once you realize how hard it is, you decide that YOU'LL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! Of course, by that point, you don't have to. I have been working on the ladders for the center cabin. Me being me, I had to make it overly complex and do a bunch of extra stuff. No pictures of that.
It's great to see younger musicians digging into the roots of American mucic and doing a great job of it!
Chuck! Send money!