So with the weather climbing into the 80's' we are back to beam building. No, I'm not going to publish any more boring beam pictures. They're all the same. Budgetboater worked on trimming up his beams with a planer and discovered the end of a beam had cracked when it fell off the saw horses. It was only the very end and it cut right off and was perfect. The wood broke, the epoxy held. Ben and I started gluing up my beams. We were in the sun, the epoxy had a shorter working time, patience was thin at times and the vocabulary was colorfull. I hate epoxy, no, I abhor it.
Those beams drink epoxy and time. Each of Budge's beams used over a gallon of epoxy and the same amount of fillers. As a result we are low on a lot of supplies. We ordered 3, 15 gallon epoxy kits ($3,603.00), cellulose filler ($250.00), nitrile gloves ($40.00).
Budge's daughter, Boatergirl, was impressed into boat service and has been helping us. After getting the webs in my beams finished, Ben and Boatergirl worked on Budge's beams putting on two coats of epoxy and getting them ready to coat.
I, in a phooey with the world mood, worked solo shaping the webs on my four beams. I got them all shaped with curved tops and started gluing on the supports
Ben finally put the last coats of paint on the mast case. It is now complete. Around here we work with many partially finished projects. Some people have vast ideas; some have half-vast ideas.
Budge bought a sprayer and sprayed his 3 finished beams.
We goofed off for a day or two, being short on gloves, etc. We did a guy's day off and meandered north of Cowtown to look at fish finders. The girl's day off was to see Cinderella.
Those are three of Budge's beams, painted Popcorn Ball white and stashed amidst the daisies.
Don't forget item 14 of my boat builder's advice (see last week)
Not a sea song, I'm not in a sea mood.
Chuck! Send money!