So, after a month or so getting our 280 square foot shed livable, we started working on the boat again. The top of one hull needs a stringer that runs the whole length. There are no 40' long boards, so we have to scarf the boards together. In order to glue properly, Each joint requires a wedge cut (scarf) so that the two boards glue properly. I set up the miter saw (chop saw) to achieve the proper 8:1 ratio, which works out to a 6" taper on a 3/4" thick board.
Each side of the hull required a stringer, so we needed 2 40' boards. I cut 4 boards for one stringer and 5 boards for the other. The picture above shows the waste piece cut off each board.
Today we glued up the stringers. We mixed up a batch of epoxy: 2 parts resin to 1 part hardener by volume. Budgetboater is an excellent epoxy man. There is little waste when he mixes a batch.
We painted each board with mixed epoxy then added poly microfiber pulp (probably ground up t-shirts from the '70's) to turn the epoxy into an excellent glue. and repainted each board with the glue.
We clamped each joint and are now letting it harden for a day. The weather dropped to wonderful from 2 dam hot. High humidity is the enemy of epoxy.
The music today: Ben likes Richard Cheese.
Chuck! Send money!